According to a recent study, 71% of small businesses now see co-working spaces as a priority. What’s behind this figure? Well, as Benjamin Frankiln once said, life’s only certainties are death and taxes (and, of course, price hikes in the London property market).
Indeed the average price for renting office space in London is now £92 per square foot a year. Combine this with the fact that average person needs 181 square feet of office space,and it’s not hard to see why there’s been such a boom in co-working spaces!
But it’s not just about money saving. Co-working spaces are great for networking, sharing ideas (or problems), and generally hanging out with like-minded people.
So with this in mind we thought it would be a good idea to put together this list of five of our favorite co-working spaces in London. We’ve tried to pick places in different parts of the capital, and also different types of spaces that cater to different needs, tastes and budgets. Enjoy!
5 of the best co-working spaces in London
- Location – Battersea, near to Wandsworth Road on the Overground.
- Price – Starting from £79 a week for a desk.
- Why here? – The place has a classy, modern feel (oak desks and oak flooring!), plenty of meeting rooms, Skype pods, and free visitor parking on site.
- More info – lebu.co.uk
90 Main Yard
- Location – Hackney, right next to Hackney Wick on the Overground.
- Price – Starting from £100 a month.
- Why here? – Over and above all the usual features you’d expect from a co-working space (eg. internet, a desk, hot coffee etc) there’s a weekly “Bring & Share” breakfast, and plans in the pipeline for a rooftop garden too.
- More info – 90mainyard.co.uk
- Location – Slap bang in the centre, next to Liverpool Street on the Underground. They have plenty of other locations too, in Bloomsbury, Shoreditch ,Whitechapel and Farringdon.
- Price – From £99 a month, but probably best to get in touch for an exact figure.
- Why here? – Membership comes with use of a registered business address and support from the business service desk (for printing, photocopying, etc). There is also a very strong focus on helping you grow your business, with regular trading and networking events.
- More info – centralworking.com
- Location – Just off Surrey Street, Croydon. A short walk from West Croydon Station on the Overground.
- Price – From £90 a month
- Why here? – An hub for art, culture and community that is home to a range of independent businesses. If you need to let off some steam they also have beer, wine and some rather tasty looking burgers.
- More info – matthewsyard.com
- Location – On St. Katherine’s Way, near the Tower of London. Tower Hill is the closest stop on the Underground.
- Price – Probably more suitable for those with a slightly bigger budget, as desks start from £349 a month.
- Why here? – Great location, six different meeting rooms at your disposal, shower rooms, access to printing and mailbox. Sister sites in Berlin and Copenhagen too.
- More info – rainmakingloft.com
Hopefully you’ve found somewhere in this list that fits your needs. But if not make sure you check out Spacehop. It is, quite literally, the Airbnb of office space. A service that allows you to book workspace in people’s homes, wherever and whenever you need it.
Map of Co-Working Spaces in London
Map created by The Office Design Company