1. What is DISPLIO?
DISPLIO is a little wireless wifi gadget that shows you whatever you want to see on an e-ink screen. You choose which widgets you want to display. You can interact with it by taping, shaking or turning it to reload or change between widgets.
2. Who are Draugiem Group?
The Draugiem Group is a collection of startups that are all under the group. It started as Draugiem.lv, the social network of Latvia, which is still the last social network of Europe to still be dominant in its home country. The founders reinvested the profit from the social network to seed new startups, and now there are over 16 startups under the Draugiem Group.
Some of the more well-known startups are Startup Vitamins (inspirational stuff for offices) and Printful, which prints on-demand drop shipping products for online stores.
3. You’ve got experience manufacturing electronics while working at Draugiem Group. What would you say are the biggest pitfalls a beginner might not know of?
The biggest element that we weren’t expecting was having to deal with lead times. Component lead times are how quickly you’ll receive the products you need to build your prototypes. They’re difficult to predict, they tend to change, and you can’t rely on them. For this reason it looks like we won’t be sending out our product when we promised.
4. What changes have you made to the product since the first designs? Have these changes been due to functional issues or just aesthetics?
The only visual change we’ve made from the very beginning is that we rounded the corners. It’s mostly for aesthetics, but I suppose it makes rotating the gadget a bit easier too, giving the round edges a bit of functional element.
5. Was the circuitry designed from scratch or is it based on something?
We were really inspired by Spark‘s circuitry, but for the most part we designed it from scratch.
6. The addition of wood casing is a nice touch. Tell us a bit about how it’s made.
Yeah, we like it too. Turns out it’s the least-popular of all the case options. The wooden casing is carved plywood.
7. What do you think version two might look like?
Bigger. Thinner. Maybe with a colour display.